Thursday, July 16, 2009

Beans, Beans, Beans

We could not believe how many green beans and wax beans appeared overnight in the garden. The family all showed up on Friday night to pick and then again on Monday and Tuesday to pick and can. It's amazing!!! And so fun to see how much our garden can produce. I couldn't resist taking a three generation gardening picture.
Our niece, Lydia was a big help in the garden. Once she overcame her fear of the towering plants around her she found the red cherry tomatoes. She made sure her mommy got a taste.

This was my first time actually canning. I remember my mother always canning, but I never paid much attention. Apparently I really paid no attention at all, because the sock method took me a little by surprise. We packed the socks in between the jars to make sure that they don't hit against each other and bust in the pressure cooker. This is an old family method. It was definately a learning experience and I really enjoyed canning with my parents.


Check out our new pressure cooker. Sam and I were excited to join in on the gardening thing and the canning thing this year. The first day we canned almost 40 pints of beans...our own home grown beans.



Aren't they beautiful?!




1 comment:

Sara and the Boys said...

Hey Laura I found your blog and added it to my page. It was good to seguys and your beautiful addition. My blog is dirkandsarasmith.blogspot.com Well, talk to ya later! Sara